We meet them at the Willis Tower, aka, Sears Tower and went up to the sky deck. It's pretty cool the way they added the Glass Ledge. The Ledge is 1,353 feet up. The Ledge’s are glass boxes that extend out about 4 1/2 feet from the skyscraper’s Sky deck on the 103rd floor. I may have mentioned at one point that I am scared of heights. It was still pretty cool. Of course I had to keep one hand on the frame of the sky deck and inch my way out but I did finally get all the way out on the ledge.
We walked from the sky deck to Gino's East for Pizza, which is half hour walk. Rich's daughter who now lives in AZ, misses Chicago style pizza so every time she comes home she has to have it, and Gino's East is one of her favorites. I have to agree, it is really good.
Then on to Zanies Comedy club another 1/2 hour walk. The walk probably got rid of maybe 1/2 the calories from the pizza. Hey, any exercise is better than none. Then we got a mini van taxi back to the train station. By this time we were slightly intoxicated but not too bad. Just enough that Rich tried to carry on a conversation with the cab driver and when the cabbie didn't respond much he asked him if it was against the rules to talk to the customers. No answer, I think he just didn't understand English very well. He took it all very well and I'm sure he was glad to get rid of us.
Now comes the train ride home! After just missing a train we had an hour wait for the next train so we went up to the MC Donald's and got ice cream cones. By this time most of the alcohol had worn off and we where people watching, and believe me at this point , there are a lot of strange people to watch in Chicago at night.
We got the last train of the night and the Air and water show was going on. The characters on the last train are usually pretty comical. There was a young couple seated behind us. He kept apologizing for doing something embarrassing and saying "you probably never want to see me again" and telling her what a smoking bod she has and he loves her and if she wants to be treated right he was the one. Then kept asking if she was going to stay over night. Sunday morning he was probably thinking "what did I say?" I wanted to ask him what he did that was so embarrassing.
Then there was the drunk guy that was trying to sleep with his legs straight up the wall while laying in the seat, loosing everything in his pockets, with a group of 6 seated close by laughing hysterically.
We get back to our destination, the last stop, which is over an hour ride and the bars are just getting out. We are totally sober and tired by this time and we end up sharing the elevator of the parking garage with more drunks. What a night!
Over all, it was a real good day. She seems to be really happy and she has a good relationship with her future in laws. It looks like this is the real deal.

Hey Baby, just wanted to drop in 'n say thanx for leavin' the comment about my True Story. As soon as I read it, I was immediately drawn here...I reckon its cuz of the similarities regardin' yer dad's death 'n my then 5 yr. old daughter goin' thru the same thing with her dad 'n the not rememberin' much of him.....which KILLS her to this very day. Right after he died I sat down 'n made her a special "Me 'n My Daddy" memory book filled with pics from the day she was born til the day he passed ('n I really can't believe I'm sittin' here right now bawlin' like a friggin' baby about this 20 yrs. later....but I reckon that tells ya that even *I* haven't "gotten over" his death this whole time). Anyway, ::::she says while wipin' the snot from her nose 'n the tears runnin' down her cheeks::: on another higher note: that funny freakish story about the bat jogged my own memory (which is really hard for me to do these days!). While visitin' a friend up in Maine 'n sittin' down to a nice warm spaghetti dinner, a bat flew into the kitchen. Who ran out the door; who ducked under the table; who went screamin' into the other room.....fuckin' funny as hell. So thanx again for everything....the comment 'n the memories, both good 'n bad (I'll take whatever I can get these days!!).
ReplyDeleteMy mother was only 48 when my father passed and she never remarried. She always said it was because she could never find an other like my dad. I don't remember her ever even trying. Now that I'm older I wonder if it was because she never stopped mourning or because of raising me and my brother. Not too many men want to raise another man's children, plus she was a little suspicious of men around me because of something that happened when I was very young.
ReplyDeleteIt is very hard to grow up with out a father. When I was growing up you didn't see too many women raising kids alone and I got allot of shit from other kids. Stuff like "Orphan Annie" and on and on. Kids are cruel. It made me stronger and I choose my friends well, probably because of that. And as a result I do have allot of really good friends.
Sound like you did a good job of posting memories for her. I too have a book like that. The funny thing is that in every pix of me trying to walk you could see his hand someplace near to protect me from falling.
Now you got tears in my eyes. But the spaghetti sure sound good. You have a good day and do what I try to do. Remember the good stuff and especially the silly stuff and you'll smile allot more. Trust me, I've lost lot of people close to me and it does help.
Hey Donna Jean, Thanks for being my 1st follower!!!
ReplyDelete