I figure if I can't join the working class then maybe I should join the class.
I started school on Monday and I have to admit, it can be a little overwhelming for a 51 yr old to take 17 credit hours.
Today while waiting to get into class I overheard a student telling an other student that she never even opened the book since the last class. They where talking about what they did last night and it was basically just hanging out at a friends house. I was at this computer till midnight last night then got up and went to school this morning for an early class. This tells me that today's college kids have no idea how important an education is. I am so motivated that I do very little of anything else. R knows that the most he is going to get out of me around the house for the next 9 months is quick dinners, clean dishes, clean cloths and sex about 2-3 times a week if we are both lucky. Everything else is on the wait list. I have encouraged him to jump in and contribute any time he gets the urge. I just did a couple loads of laundry in between class and study time today and I am going to leave the items I don't care about getting wrinkles (socks, underwear, towels) in a basket and see if he jumps in and helps out. He probably will. He knows how important this is to me and not just my future but, his too, money wise that is. If I have money to contribute, he doesn't have to work as hard. We both contribute and we both play allot more. I'm used to making GOOD money. I don't want to work in retail or service jobs.
It's odd to be in the company of all these young people with nothing in common except education. To top that, we are doing it for different reasons. Some of them are doing it because it's expected of them and most of them don't even know what they want to do. Understandable at that age. I didn't know what I wanted till I was in my 30's and thought "there has to be a better way to make a living." Now I am doing it because the career I choose has been eliminated. I was in the printing industry which is steadily dying. I had to be good with numbers and know the production end of it from in the door to the shipping dock. I had to know what materials were needed from how much paper and ink to how many hours it would take in each department to run the job based on how each paper stock runs on every different piece of equipment not to mention how much waist there would be. It used to be so involved but now it can be done by monkeys with the new software that is out. They say to get an A you need to commit 4 hours of study for every credit hour. Well, for 17 credit hours that's 68 hours of study time. Speaking of study....gotta go.
No comments:
Post a Comment