I was just thinking about my brother Joe. I do that allot.
For those of you who have read my blogs entitled Background and Bad memories renewed. you know a little something about him already. I decided to post my favorite picture of him. It shows him as the person he was.
When this picture was taken....I was very shy and timid to say the least....I just look totally content to be on his lap. My mom told me there were few people I would go to and he was one of them. This picture was taken in Kansas City, Mo, where I was born. He lived in IL and rode down several times a year. I don't know what month this was, but look at the gloves he had on. I know the bike was a 59. I was born in April of 58, so I think this had to be taken early 59, maybe late 59. It almost looks like there could be snow between the electric pole and the building and maybe between the bricks in the alley. This could be possible since I know he rode in most any weather.
I remember a story my mom told me about one of his trips to see us. He had a mustache and when he walked in the house, it had frost on it from his breath. Now that is die hard riding. I have ridden in high 20's-low 30's going over Wolf Creek Pass CO in the middle of the night. We got to the top and stayed in the heated washroom till daylight came and the temperature rose. Now that I know how cold it can get at the top, I will never ride a pass at night again. For me, if I am on a trip and hit bad weather, I will tough it out, but I don't head out into it around home. If it's cold, (below 50) I'm not riding. I guess I'm just not the rider he was. He has ridden all the continental United States including Alaska and most of Canada.
I'm planning to take a ride to Southern IL to see his former wife some time after I get passed the finals for this semester. My nephew (his youngest son) rides too, so I will have to get in a ride with him while I'm there. Maybe my sister-in-law will hop on the back with him. She used to ride her own; many, many years ago. She has had some health issues this past year but, I bet she'll ride with us.
I have been talking to my oldest nephew in NE about meeting half way and doing a bike trip some place. His kids are finally old enough for him to get back into riding and he has got my brother's bike rode worthy again. Maybe Daniel will come up from southern IL and join us.
I imagine that will be a bitter sweet ride filled with a lot of really good memories.
Not bad memories...after all. Be well.
ReplyDeleteChessie, thanks for the comment. I do have allot of good memories of him...he was a pretty terrific person. When I think of how he was killed, I try real hard to shift to the good stuff real fast and there was allot of good stuff....it's not unusual to think of him and smile. Hopefully MDJ will get there soon.
ReplyDeleteAwesome pic! I have an old pic of my Dad and me on his Honda. I will treasure it always and I'm sure you will too.
ReplyDeleteSince I'm kind of new to your blog, I've got some catching up to do. I'll be seeing ya!
Thanks for checking in. I keep a copy of this picture in my windshield bag as my guardian angel. If there is a chance he could be watching out for me, I know he is.
ReplyDelete