Friday, April 23, 2010

1st decade of the century part 4

2004

January.....Rich is one of those people that is impossible to buy for so I arrange for a weekend away after the holidays as a Christmas present. His 03 present is Milwaukee WI. We took off on Friday and went up to Prairie du Chien, WI. During the winter when the rivers are frozen, the eagles all gather by the damns and dive for fish. It's interesting to watch them pull a fish from the water. We were told that it takes so much energy to make the dive that it takes about two hours for them to recover enough to dive again.

We stayed in Madison, WI on Friday night and drove to Milwaukee on Saturday. I had reservations at and a B&B in a mansion and at Crawdaddy's Cajun Restaurant for dinner. When we checked into the B&B, the aroma of chocolate chip cookies was all through the house and a large tray of cookies was waiting for us. The hostess invited us to explore the first floor once we got settled in. We looked around the house for a while, checking out all the antiques. Then we headed out for dinner. After dinner we found a nice place to have a couple drinks and headed back to the mansion. In the morning, we met the rest of the guests at breakfast. Turned out they where all bikers who book every year. After checking out, we went to the Milwaukee Museum, then a movie at the Humphrey IMAX Dome Theater.
April.....Rich was out helping to blow up damns for the farmers. Give the boys dynamite and they're happy. One of our friends has a dynamite license and blows up tree stumps, damns, silos and other stuff that needs to be cleared out.


May.....We mostly spent our time gutting the whole upstairs to remodel and riding when ever we had a good day.

June.....As usual we went to the family reunion in PA and turned it into a vacation. First we headed to DC and went to all the monuments, memorials and some of the museums. We stayed just outside of town and came back the next day to try to see what we missed on the first day. I love the detail in the buildings in DC, but hate the major intersections where 4 streets come together.
After DC, we got on a ferry at Cape Henlopen, DE and crossed to Cape May, NJ. From there we rode up the coast. Along the way we stopped a few times to walk in the ocean and we met someone who was just pulling in a small shark.
We found a nice place to stop for the night, just North of Atlantic City in Beach Haven, right on the beach.
At that time, I still had a job and one of my customers who lived in New York City, invited us to spend a few days at their Brownstone. They had bought a 6 story brownstone and was remodeling it. We had a whole floor to ourselves. I love NY, I may not be ready to give up country life for it, but I would definitely go back.





On to the family reunion. PA is very pretty country. Great for riding.

The rest of June and July was filled with hill climbs.....spending time with my grand kids and riding when ever we had the chance.

July....We went to an outdoor concert for Lynard Skynard.


August.....We crewed for our friend who has the hot air balloon business. He was doing tether rides for a party. A tether ride is when the balloon is secured so that it only goes as high as the tether length. I got my tether ride after the party.

We went to a Travis Tritt Concert.

My nephew "13" came out from AZ for a week during August. During his visit we did the midnight run out of Chicago. He loved it.

September.....We took a weekend and rode down to the Chain of Rocks Bridge. The bridge has a bend in the middle of it and it has a very interesting history. I am adding a link instead of our own pix since they have better pix and more info. http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM19W0_Old_Chain_of_Rocks_Bridge


http://www.digitalroute66.com/chain_of_rocks/index.html It was used in the movie Escape From New York.

Also in September Rich turned 50! I rented the Eagles Club for a surprise party for him. It was real hard to keep that from him. We are the kind of couple that always knows where the other one is because if we are not working we are usually together. His daughter flew in from AZ and mixed into the crowd. When he spotted her, I thought he was going to cry but he managed to keep it together.
October.....I made reservations at some cabins in Bellvue, IA as a B-day present for Rich. I reserved them for October because I thought it would be nice to do in the fall when the leaves were turning.
And what would October be without our bon fire party and all the Halloween parties????

Rich got a chance to drive a NAS Car at Chicago Speedway.


December.....New Years Eve we spent in AZ visiting Rich's daughter....to be included in Part 5

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List