First, I want to thank everyone for all the well wishes and encouragement.
This week has been a challenge to say the least. I am working with 2 other people. The woman I work with is real nice, helpful and patient. The guy on the other hand is not any of the above. He has very low moral, talks bad about the owner. Describes her just like the owner of the last place I worked. Demanding, knows everything, has her hands in everything, nothing is ever good enough, egotistical, and the list goes on.
He told me in the beginning that I have never and will never see an accounting system like theirs. He said they have major growing pains and the system they use doesn't support the growth they are going through.
It seems like he is at the end of his rope and in over his head. He has no patients for training and is an ass on top of it. He is mentally abusive, IE; loud sighs when you ask a question, dirty looks, shakes his head with a look of disgust when you have to ask for further detail on one of his one sentence directions. "These billing statements have to be verified with the labor time sheets" OK...where do I find the labor time sheets in the system that I have not been introduced to yet?
A good example. I was given a list of labor hours and told to find out which have been entered by the previous temp and which had not been entered, and enter the ones that need to be put in the billing system. This list is to be entered in two parts, billable hours and non-billable hours. I am told that I can tell the billable hours by the fact that a $ amount is next to the hours. I do all the entrees that I can find customer files to enter into and keep all my questions about where to find the others till I can ask about them all at one time. (I was told to ask questions in groups so not to interrupt like the last temp). When I was as far as I could go, I asked where to find the company files for the ones that were left. He said, "those are non-billable!!!" Now keep in mind that the ones that I am in question of have $ amounts next to them which, in his directions, was billable. So I say, "I'm sorry, I'm confused. I understood you to say that if there were $ amounts...it was billable." He snapped and said, "those are landlords, we don't bill hourly details to landlords!!! Look in the non-billable file and you'll find them." My next question is, "how do I know who are landlords?" He said in a nasty...you should know voice, "Go to the master files and you will see LL next to the customers who are landlords." After doing this, I ask about the hours I still have left to bill to customers that have no file. He says, "that's because I haven't entered "the new" customers into the system yet." My thought is that I am done till he enters them into the system since I now have everything balanced except the exact amount that is left to be entered to the non-existing customer files. Keep in mind that I had to go through everything that the last temp had entered and figure out what she did. Turns out she entered anything she wasn't sure of into both billable and non-billable categories, so it is way out of balance. About a half hour later, after I am into invoicing for my other boss...the nice one...he then snaps at me that it doesn't balance. Well no, it won't balance till the remaining customers are entered into the system and I can enter the hours for them. I show him that the balance is off by this amount and he looks at me like I'm nuts. I asked him if he wanted me to enter those customers into the system and if so, I need to know if they are billable or non- billable. (they are not in the system so I have no way of knowing). Here comes another sigh like...do I have to tell you everything!!!!!! Finally I get everything entered and it balances. He just looks at the balanced sheet, with a roll of the eyes like he wanted to say, you finally figured it out you moron!!
Should I just take it upon myself to alter their master files and make entries I am not sure of? I think most bosses would want to do that themselves till the person being trained was more familiar with the system and, wouldn't it be easier to tell me all this first, knowing that I need this info?
I had the great privilege of being stuck in the break room alone with him at lunch yesterday and when I tried to make friendly small talk he looked at me like...this is my time, why are you talking to me, then just looked away with one of his sarcastic sighs.
I plan to do my best till something else comes along. In the mean time I am mentally exhausted.
BB:
ReplyDeleteWOW, they are their own problem . Maybe you were sent to replace the "know-it-all" after you know their inefficient system
bob
Riding the Wet Coast