I have not been called to work for 2 weeks now and my unemployment has run out. I was hoping to get more hours from my part time job, but I've only averaged 9 hrs a week for the 4 weeks I did worked.
I heard they passed an extension for the 99'ers. Apparently not. I have mixed feelings about that any way. If they are getting these extensions by raising the deficit, I think it's wrong, even if it does benefit me. They should get it by cut backs, and we all know they could trim some fat. Personally, I would prefer a JOB. I need medical. I was turned down for individual insurance...not that I could pay for it if I could get it. I need to feel like I can pay my share. If it wasn't for Rich I would be living in my car. Now that I can't even pay for gas It would pretty cold. Some times I wonder how he is going to be when I don't have the unemployment any more and can't contribute. I'm about to find out. It's not like we are married and he has to deal with it.
I apply for work everyday. My resume states that I worked at the same place since 1976. That is a dead give away that I'm over 50. I can't help but think, it's a strike against me. It appears to most people that I'm actually older than 52. Taking into consideration that most people start working at real jobs a few years older than my age when I started at 17. My resume reads like I'm more like 55 or older. Plus, I've been out of the job market for 2 years. Then you have the people who are out of work and have degrees and I only have a certification. Who wants me when they can get someone with a degree and experience. I just applied for three jobs this morning. It's the 1st thing I do every morning. I can't just stop trying.
Still. no word from Accountemps. I wonder if they get paid by how many people the recruit. I know they have allot of people with degrees and accounting experience. I just don't think they should tell me they will start placing me in entry level positions and then never call or return my emails.
Now that I'm depressed...ENOUGH OF THAT!
I'm stalling to call my son's ex so that I can pick up my grand daughter. We are baking cookies at my oldest son's house. I make cookies every year with the kids. This will be the 1st year that Milaynah will be with us. She has finally reached the age that she will go with me without mom or dad. Her mom works 2ND shift and I don't want to be too early for her. This will cheer me up.
Last night, I made three different kinds of cookies, brownies, cheesecake-lemon bars and fudge. I sent two trays to work with Rich. One for a co-worker...Tom and his family, who have become close Friends...THEY RIDE...and one tray for the guys to enjoy with morning coffee. Rich had to drop off the tray for Tom and his family at their house because Tom was not at work this morning. His wife emailed me and thanked me for being a good friend, saying she has been sick and not able to bake for Christmas. It makes me feel good that it will help make things a little easier on her. I have 2 trays left, one for my son's house on Christmas Eve and one for our house on Christmas day.
I made the cookie dough for today last night. I've found in the past that the kids get bored easy. Young kids have such a short attention span. This way they get to do the fun parts...forming the cookie balls, cutting out the shapes, and decorating. We save these cookies for the family...it doesn't matter how much you tell them...no licking your fingers...someone will lick and put them freshly licked fingers back into the dough. This happens allot when we get to the frosting. Rich got to witness the whole thing one year when I did it here at our house, it was so funny when my grand daughter tried to give him a cookie. He really didn't want it because he had just seen her lick her fingers before handing it to him. I gave him a look and he knew he better suck it up and like it, whether he did or not. This is what being grampa is all about. You lie. The cookies were good...even with the licked fingers.
BB:
ReplyDeleteI would like to think that perhaps most Companies are not outsourcing as much as before because of the downturn. I know that we used to hire Temps for vacation periods but we haven't for a few years now. The staff just take up the slack and we get it done ourselves.
what I am saying is that . . . it's NOT YOU or your abilities. How about doing bookkeeping at home for small companies who cannot afford a full time bookkeeper ? You could do it at home and start up a home business.
It seems you have good baking skills. How about doing special cakes; birthday, graduation special events, etc. I heard of a person doing artistic cakes, shaped like a guitar, or a car, or a baseball or whatever and charge a lot of $$ for these. Put an ad in your local community paper on on the wall somewhere
hope you have a very Merry Christmas in spite of the challenges. You are rich if you have family who care . . .
bob
Wet Coast Scootin
Biker Baby... sorry to hear about the job news, but Bobskoot has a couple really good ideas. I for one always buy homemade cakes and cookies from folks I know. Working people who don't have time, but want the good taste of homemade will buy from you. We have a patient who delivers 40 or so cakes every Wednesday to a local grocer and they sell like hot cakes. (No pun intended!) She makes 7 layer yellow cakes with chocolate fudge icing, caramel icing, red velvet, coconut, and they absolutely delicious! AND they sell for $14.00 each! Gone!!
ReplyDeleteI hope you find something soon, or be able to turn some of your intuitive ideas into prosperity. The new year is approaching and I wish you very Happy and successful one!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
It's frustrating, I know, I have been there but keep the spirits up, you have the family to share the season, enjoy, life is short.
ReplyDeleteI wish you good luck for the new year and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year.
Bob & Lady R;
ReplyDeleteI have tried the baking but it only works for me during the winter months since we only have a window air conditioner and it won't cool the house while the oven is on. I used to decorate cakes but my hands don't work well enough anymore. I spent too many years in a bindery. I have had 4 surgeries to my left hand and I need work on my right. I can't hold the tube long enough to finish a cake. I do real well with cakes that are not full of flowers or other decorations, pies, cookies, and cheesecakes but I use fresh quality ingredients and no one around here wants to pay the price. Marketing is my problem. I don't know people willing to pay the price and I think I would have to have a license of some kind to advertise.
As for book keeping from home, everyone wants a degree and I only have a certificate.