Friday, December 3, 2010

Job update

I am working part time at the local printing co...a block and a half away. The wages are better than the part time jobs that I have applied for that would be a 1/2 hour drive, so I am thankful for that, but I feel like I am right back where I stared. I started out in the bindery at the last company I worked for and after raising my kids and going back to school I was promoted to the position of estimator. I ended up running that department and revising the whole system, which had not been updated in...who knows how many years. Now I'm back in the bindery and have not heard one thing from Accountemps. I was somewhat down when I was reassured by a friend that she never got a call when she signed up for Accountemps. She is now an office manager and controller for a company that she was placed with through Kelly Girls. Next step...sign with Kelly Girls.

Talking about the friend above...she has been in the hospital since Thanksgiving. We took them to a feather party at the Eagles Club with us and they won four 23-24 lb turkeys, 8 lbs of bacon, and three 22-23 lb hams. They came to our house for breakfast the next morning bringing with them bacon. She was in horrible pain that night and refused to go to the hospital. Then on Thanksgiving, it happened all over again. This time she went to the hospital being dragged by her husband, kicking and screaming. They found that she had been passing gallstones and needed to have her gallbladder removed. She waited too long and developed pancreatitis, a fever, and high blood pressure. They put her on antibiotics and blood pressure med's and a liquid diet. The fever and white cell where down enough on Wednesday to do the surgery. She is still there, her white cell count went up again and the fever is back. It doesn't help that she found out through the grape vine, that her 18 year old...straight A student...son was driving a car with no brakes. He was leaking break fluid and didn't have the money to buy any so he just drove it any way. His argument was that he needed to get to school. She told him her car was just sitting in the driveway...take it!!! At 18, shouldn't he know better? And what about the people who decided to tell her about it, rather than to deal with it for her. Her husband who is the kid's step father was at the hospital and didn't know about it, but what about his father...he couldn't call him and say...dad, what do I do? It just angers me that people can be so STUPID! I mean...drive a car with out brakes...tell some one who is in her shape about it...who does that???? If he would have said something to me, I would have just asked her husband or Rich to look at it so Sue didn't have to be dealing with it. She should be concentrating on getting better and not dealing with adult children who can't make a sensible decision on their own.

We went to MO. for our Thanksgiving. We visited a friend of mine that I have known since I started in the bindery at the age of 17. It was a good visit and good food. I am making a turkey dinner this weekend so that we can be with our kids and a couple of friends.

I just got a call that I am needed to run an inserter. I owe, I owe, it's off to work I go!!!

I hope every one had a great Thanksgiving.

6 comments:

  1. Will include your friend in my prayers!! FYI..I dont happen to be one of your "followers" however, you are on my list on my google reader. I guess you could say Im following, just not a "follower". LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mtajudy, I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any work is better than no work :-) Our prayers to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you are working. Your freind is in a painful way. Had near the samething years ago. Wish her well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. George and Webster; Yes, any work is better than none. I hate bindery work, but it is work. I keep telling myself, it's only part time and only till the economy turns around. On the bright side, it is only a block away and I can save on gas, plus it is $1.75 more than any part time job I could get at a 1/2 hour drive. So I'm ahead the cost of gas and $1.75/hr. How's that for positive thinking?

    I am going to register with Kelly Girls and a temp service in the next town right after Christmas. I don't think anyone is going to be hiring till at least then.

    My friend came home from the hospital yesterday...2 weeks! I haven't had a chance to talk to her because I worked 12 hours yesterday. I didn't get home till 9pm and didn't want to call her that late on her first day home. The fact that she is home is good news and I will be calling her in the next half hour.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice that she's home, hope she feels better.
    Yea, the job market sucks, I have a job but I'm not happy here, need to find a different job :-(

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List