Thursday, May 20, 2010

Kids...even when they're grown they scare you.

I had a scare with my son today. His uncle died of a heart attach at the age of 34...hereditary condition. My son drove himself to the hospital while having chest pain so bad he could hardly breath. I was on the phone with him the whole way, not wanting to let him go and keeping him talking. Probably not a good idea, considering he was driving, but I could not talk him into stopping and waiting for an ambulance. I am an hour and 15 minutes away from him. It's the longest frickin drive ever. I talked to the DR and told her she better not let him go with out a complete check up because of his family history.
I was at the hospital the first time my brother-in-law went to the hospital with heart symptoms. We both worked at the same place so I followed the ambulance. Because he was only 34, they told us he was fine, that he probably pulled a muscle. He was too young for a heart attack. He died two days later of a massive heat attack. I had both my boys tested and this one tested positive with the gene.
When my mother died, she was released from the hospital at 3:30 PM and at 6:00 she had a massive heart attack and died. they said she had pain because she fell when she passed out.
You can imagine my attitude when they are telling me he's fine and probably just pulled a muscle. I told them they better not release him before I can get there and they better run every test available or I would see to it his daughter owned a good part of that hospital if something happened to him.
They kept him most of the day and ran heart enzyme tests and EKG's and kept him on a monitor. Finally, after allot of testing they let him go. This is the diagnosis they gave.

3 comments:

  1. I read your blog with interest, I am so sorry to learn about your family history of heart problems, this must be a very frightening thing to deal with and I wish you and yours strength. I must say that the header photo of your brother (and you?) on the motorbike is one of the best I've seen, what an incredible photo! Best wishes from a brother biker in South Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No matter how old they get... your still their mama!

    I'm glad he's okay, but I can see why you worry. Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rider; Glad you stopped by. I always like getting comments and it's especially interesting to hear from people from other countries. I'll be dropping in on you from time to time...in between my studies.

    My boys have it coming at them from both sides so I do get a little excited about it. My oldest is 34 last October and the youngest just turned 30 last December.

    I found this photo in the form of a negative and scanned and fixed it. It was so light you couldn't tell there were 2 kids on the bike with him.

    Lady; The Doc didn't appreciate my insistence on the extra tests, but she did give in after hearing the family history. I can't imagine losing a kid or grandchild.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List