I was excused from jury duty today for a variety of reasons. Now that I will not be serving, I can talk about it. A baby was born premature and the parents were suing the Dr and hospital for wrongful death. His lungs were underdeveloped, they mentioned brain bleeds, lung disease and feeding tubes. He was in the neo icu for 45 days when he died. It was hinted at that the baby didn't have a strong chance of living and that the hospital staff didn't have much hope for him so they neglected him.
Some of the questions that played a part in me being released was:
Q. Did I have anyone close to me who had a complicated pregnancy or a baby that had been on a feeding tube?
A. My granddaughter was on a feeding tube for about a month after she was born because her lungs were not fully developed and she had a whole in one lung and in her heart.
Q. Do you know any nurses?
A. Yes...8.
Q. Do you know any police officers? (The father of the baby is a cop.)
A. Yes...2 still on the force and 2 retired, one of them my brother.
Q. Were you ever a part of a lawsuit?
A. Yes...I had to give a deposition and testify in a wrongful death case for my brother-in-law's death...a heart attack at the age of 34. I worked with him at the time. Since he had the heart attack at work, I went to the hospital with him. He was misdiagnosed and later died.
After the lawyer for the plaintiff questioned me, she said she approved of me as a juror. I was surprised at that after hearing that I know so many nurses. When it was time for the lawyer for the Dr to question me, he stood and asked that I be released as a witness. Probably because of the combination of the first and last 2 questions. They probably thought I would be too simpathetic and side with the family.
I was really on the fence with this. I felt like I was obliged to do it but at the same time, I worried it might be too emotional and touch too close to home. I also was worried about work. They expected the trial to last at least 2 weeks and very likely into the third week. That would put me in a very bad situation at work. I'm glad I will not have to serve. I can't imagine I would ever have to serve in a criminal case since I have been a victim in one way or another of so many crimes.
Sad it is. My wife works at U of M Mott children's hospital. She is an RT respiratory therapist. Her specialty is NEO. They do not neglect the baby's. They will tell the parents it may not go well. The last to develop are the lungs. White boys are the weakest.It would be sad to lose a little one. But they do there best. They fly all over the country to bring some of the worst to Mott's. It is the babies that do well with all odd's against them that makes them do what they do.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe anyone would neglect a sick baby, especially someone who went into that field. Sometimes it's just out of their hands, sometimes mistakes happen, hopefully that's not the case. I think that anyone who chooses that line of work does the best they can.
ReplyDelete