This is my slow week at work, my month-end close is done, all my reports are
finished, files have been uploaded to both GM and Chrysler, accruals sent off
to accounting, and numbers reconciled. Just waiting for my April audit list and
I will be officially closing April. I get a list of 30 random jobs plus any job
over $25,000 every month. Then I have to prove everything was done according to
the contract by making copies of contracts and any Po's, invoices, postal
receipts, and digital media records along with screen shots of any inventory
posted to the jobs. I'm not getting much overtime anymore. I’ve had very little
OT, as a matter of fact. I used to be able to count on my last two weeks of the
month having at least 10-20 hours of overtime, not anymore. Apparently I'm
getting better at my job. I guess it's a good sign but I really liked that OT.
My promotion is pushed till probably Jan, 2014 because of the software not
being ready yet. While I was in Dallas, I found too many discrepancies in the
software that just won't work for us. It will be about that long before they
can work the bugs out.
Our branch is currently spread out over two buildings in an office complex
about 3 city blocks wide. They have been building an addition on the main
building to get us all together. It should be ready for us to move into by the
end of June. They have bought another marketing agency since the planning of
the new building so it will be interesting to see how they fit us all in.
Before you read the next part of my post, keep in mind that I am truely greatful for my job; but like all jobs, there's always something that just drives you nuts.
I will be very happy when the move comes because the girls I room with; one
in particular, are very load and inconsiderate of my need to concentrate. They
are busy the first two weeks and slower at end of month. My busy time is the
opposite. When I am not busy, they can be very amusing, but when I'm buried in
work, they can be very distracting. I am so tired of hearing, "OHH MY
GOD!" and all about how tired they are; one because of a two year old and
one because she is a party animal and is usually hung over. The constant loud
yawning followed by a really load, "OHH BOY, OHH BOY, OHH BOY!" I
have said stuff like, "Really...it can't be that bad, I should be the one
doing all the yawning since I'm OLD and stay up too late for my own good."
I have said, "SARAH, can you possibly be any more distracting?" She usually
answers with, "Well I can certainly try!" She is totally oblivious that I am serious. I find myself using ear
buds with my iPhone music to drown her out. She is constantly making tapping
noises with her fingers, hands and feet. She plays music on her computer
constantly singing along and a very high pitched, out of tune voice. Then there
is the constant whining about how bruised they are from their kettle bell
workouts. Not to mention the detailed stories of skinned tail bones from the
workouts because of bad floor mats. TMI! Not that I couldn't use some exercise
myself, but I think I would go for a different form of exercise if it were that
damaging to my body. Then the constant conversations about one of them is a
maid of honor for her cousin and all the family drama to go with it and the drama
of the other one's step kids. I will be so glad when this wedding is finally
over. I just hope I was not as dramatic in my 30's as they are. It's like being
back in high school.
I was in the cafeteria the other day and had a conversation with someone from
a different department and she asked how I liked individual auto. I just said,
"I like my job and the company is definitely a good company to work
for." She grinned and mentioned that they hear quite a bit of noise coming
from our area. It turns out that others have complained, but our department
brings in so much revenue that it is pretty much overlooked. I just said,
"Sometimes it can be entertaining, but the people are all nice
people." It's true...if it weren't for the fact that they make it hard to
concentrate by being so distracting and dramatic, I think I could really like
them. I just keep telling myself that we will be moving soon and we will all be
in cubes alongside accounting and they will have to tame it down. I will have
to be situated between accounting and them because I am technically a part of accounting
but we all need access to the contracts and job jackets at the same time.
In my new position, "Production Administrator for Finance" I will
be busier in the beginning of the month which will coincide with their busy
time. That should help cut down the distractions. Once the sales staff has a
contract, I will be creating new customer numbers and creating projects for the
financial aspect of the job by pricing out everything, then it will go back to
the sales staff for approval and then onto the support team, "the drama
department" to be put together and sent off to the print shop and to the
digital media department. It will then be entered as an invoice by the billing
department and sent back to me for approval. I will have to verify that all the
job steps have been fulfilled and that all the audit points are verified before
being sent out. Unfortunately the Enron scandal has hurt allot of people, but
because of it we have allot of "SOX regulations" that have to be
followed and I have a job because of it. With all the checks and balances
involved with being a publicly traded company, new jobs needed to be created to
become SOX compliant. We have to have everything documented and records showing
self-audit practices. No one person is allowed to do anything financial without
approval from someone else, lowering the risk of fraud in financial statements.
Probably uninteresting to most of you, but this is a description of
SOX.
The Sarbanes–Oxley Act of 2002, also known as the 'Public Company Accounting
Reform and Investor Protection Act' and 'Corporate and Auditing Accountability
and Responsibility Act' and more commonly called Sarbanes–Oxley, Sarbox or SOX,
is a US federal law that set new standards for all U.S. public company boards,
management and public accounting firms. As a result of SOX, top management must
now individually certify the accuracy of financial information. The bill was
enacted as a reaction to a number of major corporate and accounting scandals
including those affecting Enron, Tyco Int'l, WorldCom and a few more. These
scandals cost investors billions of dollars when the share prices of affected
companies collapsed.
No comments:
Post a Comment