Saturday, December 29, 2012

Sucks getting old.

It's probably not so much getting old as it was all the things we did in our past for thrills. I'm 54 and Rich is 58. Don't know that I would have changed anything if I knew what I know now. The stock car racing was probably the hardest thing on my body, along with the 23 years I worked in a book bindery. The racing, sky diving and twisting wrenches is what got Rich. I only had a couple sky dives when Rich decided to get out of it, After 15 years of jumping he was starting to feel it.
He has healed up real good from his carpal tunnel surgery and, as I thought, it did not take away much of his pain. He is scheduled to go in on Monday and have his neck surgery done to replace the disc. It will be a 12 week recovery for him because of his line of work. I am going into work on Monday morning to do some last minute billing and taking off at 11. His surgery is at 2 so he needs to be there by 1:30. I work in West Chicago and he has to go to Rockford for the surgery. 45 minutes home to pick him up and then about an hour to Rockford.
Driving is very painful for me, it must be the position. Plus my left hand and arm goes numb when I drive, so I end up just using my right hand. I'm just not looking forward to the hour and a half drive going from work to Rockford for visits. Bright side is, I can get on the toll road and Cruise. He should only be in the hospital for 3 days.
It's very painful for me to sit up straight to do anything. I have a small pillow at work that I have at my lower back so that I am in a somewhat reclined position just to get through the day and I am on pain killers nonstop. The neurologist gave me a prescription for something that helps control pain with out being a narcotic. It doesn't take away the pain but it does take the edge off, as long as I take them constant. I am able to get through the day by only taking the narcotic pain relievers when I first get up so I can get moving.
I was scheduled for an mri of my neck today but it had to be postponed because my insurance is still pending approval. The neurologist thinks I have a pinched nerve causing my pain. The pain has been pretty much nonstop since Dec 2. Rich's has been since early summer. I hope I don't end up having the same surgery as Rich. Wouldn't it be nice if it was just sympathy pain and mine goes away with his surgery. If only it was that simple.
I'll take care of him for now and if it comes to it, he will take care of me later. It's what we do.

2 comments:

  1. Getting old can suck. But we are getting there:-]. I'm 61 went out of work in 07. Two bulging disk 6 and 7. Could not work in my trade. Machine repair. 30 ft in the air and passing out was not good. Hope all turns out. I try to limit my pain killers. Yeah they only take the edge off but at least they do that. Hope 2013 is a better year for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean, just turned 52 here, so far good health but who knows what the future brings. Good luck with everything, keep the spirits up.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List