Thursday, September 29, 2011

Job market rant!

I am really frustrated! The temp agency just called to offer me a six week position at a printing co, in the MAILROOM. $11/hour!!!! 33 years in printing and all I'm worth is $11/HOUR!!!!!!!
 
That is half what I made when I was laid off. It's 45 minutes farther to drive, totalling 1 hour and 15 minutes, production work, no benefits, and half the pay. How much farther back can I go? I feel like I've had one too many slaps in the face.
 
The person at the company that is looking for a temp, looked at my resume, and said, "This would be great; I could use her any place in production." I’d say it's great for them!
 
I used to send them work when I was purchasing services. I have two connections there that used to call me looking for work.
 
My temp agent is trying to negotiate more pay; it's not likely since the company would be paying the temp agency about $18 for my cut of $11. The temp agency gets about 38%. I don’t think that position would normally pay $18/hour.
 
I've had it with this economy! I've worked my ass off all my life, had 5 surgeries because that line of work, and spent the last two years in school trying to get ahead, just to be making what I made in 1987. When you add up the food stamps, medical, and the monthly checks, people make more on welfare! WHERE THE !#$% DO I SIGN UP??? Oh, I remember now. I can't get welfare because I'm too honest...AND...I have scruples. I still believe you should earn your way.
 
I know me...I'll take the job, and in six weeks, I'll be right back where I am now, looking for a job!

2 comments:

  1. Upstanding people that have scruples are the idiots. Really? Driving an extra 45 minutes, plus gas and wear and tear on the car, for $11 an hour is really like making $7.56 an hour.
    Honestly, you should think about playing the system for a year, or whatever, while you are in school. Suck up the pride, set aside your upbringing, and move into survival mode. If it is good enough for the ones here illegally it should apply to the one with a history of playing by the rules.
    My opinion is I would rather my taxes go to someone who is suffering because they want to work than someone who thinks it is owed to them.
    A prayer is offered to you and the decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scruples schmuples. I agree with AHD - take that damn welfare system for all u can 'n then don't look back. After all those years of workin' yer ass off, I'm SURE ya put a helluva lot more INTO it than u'll ever get outta it, so don't even think twice about doin' it.

    So go be like Nike and just do it!

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List