Monday, September 12, 2011

My son and his dad.

When I stopped in to see my son for a few minutes coming home from my niece's house on Sunday, I asked about how he likes driving, he said he really likes it allot. I asked how him and his dad were getting along together and he said, "It's like deja vu...remember when you used to get mad at him because he would not look at a map, tailgated people and did a quick glance in the mirror AS he changed lanes...NOTHING has changed. Now I know why you hated riding in the car with him."

I remembered when my mom died; I was only 27 and had to make most of the decisions. We had just left the floral shop after picking out the flowers for the services and he was tailgating in rush hour traffic. I said, “Damn it Mike. You know I’m not sleeping and I’m stressed, are you trying to push me over the edge…BACK OFF! It’s probably the only time he did back off. He truly believed that because nothing had happened yet, nothing ever would happen.

My son said his is on the phone when they need to be getting unloaded or hooked up leaving him do all the work. Then last week they came off a ramp, my ex driving and my son looked out to see a pickup coming along side of them on the side of the road. Apparently he never saw him and cut him off. My son told him he needs to stay off the phone when he's in the drivers seat. He told me that his step mother is constantly calling my ex and it always seems to be at the wrong time. His dad always takes her calls instead of telling her he’ll call back. He always was real good at letting everyone else take care of everything while he watched them work.

My son said he loves his dad but he can see now why it didn’t work with us.

Tweenty years later and he still hasn't changed a bit. I'll be watching those semis in a different way from now on. It might just be my ex, or someone like him driving.

3 comments:

  1. ... it might be your ex or somebody else's ex in the semis swaying through traffic. Various not politically correct words coming to mind (sorry, got cut off by a truck today...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SonjaM,

    I understand...hopefully my son can get him to pay better attention. I was married to him for 17 years and he never listened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BB:

    truckers in general are too aggressive and not considerate. too bad it took you 17 years to find this out.

    I hope you are doing well

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List