
Most women have used...or at least seen these hair clips. This is a story that might change your mind.
Last Friday, we went to a friends house to go out for dinner. We had planned on riding. We got there and after our friend got the bike out of the garage and to the bottom of the driveway, his passenger started to mount-up. The drive way is on a hill so there is a dip at the end. He is only a 29" inseam and rides a bagger. When she got on they went over. She was wearing one of these clips and it broke apart. The combs from the clip went into her scalp. She had blood down her arm, dripping from her elbow, down the front of her, between her breasts and down the center of her back. It looked like she split her head wide open with all the blood. She was naturally shaken after seeing all the blood. She said she was a little dizzy, so rather than take chances, we called 911. The paramedics were pulling pieces of this clip from her head and it looked like she needed stitches. So off to the hospital she went.
It turned out that the sharp edge of the clip that was left after the combs broke off, scraped a quarter size piece of her scalp off...hence...the heavy bleeding. The combs that they had pulled out had just broke the skin and not serious. No stitches, just ALLOT of blood.
So to all you girls that wear these, you may want to try and alternative method of putting your hair up while riding. I usually do a pony tail with several bands down the length of the pony tail with a bandanna to keep the strays out of my eyes. I rarely use clips but I will not be wearing a clip any more after this. Too many sharp edges when they break. If she was not wearing it, we would have just cleaned up his and hers skinned elbows and been on our way.
Last Friday, we went to a friends house to go out for dinner. We had planned on riding. We got there and after our friend got the bike out of the garage and to the bottom of the driveway, his passenger started to mount-up. The drive way is on a hill so there is a dip at the end. He is only a 29" inseam and rides a bagger. When she got on they went over. She was wearing one of these clips and it broke apart. The combs from the clip went into her scalp. She had blood down her arm, dripping from her elbow, down the front of her, between her breasts and down the center of her back. It looked like she split her head wide open with all the blood. She was naturally shaken after seeing all the blood. She said she was a little dizzy, so rather than take chances, we called 911. The paramedics were pulling pieces of this clip from her head and it looked like she needed stitches. So off to the hospital she went.
It turned out that the sharp edge of the clip that was left after the combs broke off, scraped a quarter size piece of her scalp off...hence...the heavy bleeding. The combs that they had pulled out had just broke the skin and not serious. No stitches, just ALLOT of blood.
So to all you girls that wear these, you may want to try and alternative method of putting your hair up while riding. I usually do a pony tail with several bands down the length of the pony tail with a bandanna to keep the strays out of my eyes. I rarely use clips but I will not be wearing a clip any more after this. Too many sharp edges when they break. If she was not wearing it, we would have just cleaned up his and hers skinned elbows and been on our way.
Yeow! I hate that for your friend. I have short hair, so I never have a problem with clips or bands.
ReplyDeleteGood lesson to pass on.
Ouch! I have short hair, hence this problem won't occur to me. I wear a bandana mostly, maybe that'll also work for long haired ladies?
ReplyDelete