We got a group of friends together to ride out to Savanna, IL area for the weekend. We stopped at Poopy's. For those who have never heard of Poopy's, it started as a motorcycle parts, clothing, accessory and tattoo parlor in down town Savanna, with the moto; prices cheaper than shit. They put in a bar downstairs and soon relocated to the edge of town where they added a restaurant/bar complete with bands every Friday and Saturday of the riding season. If you drink too much they even have free tent camping so you can just crawl into bed, then in the morning you can go inside for a shower and breakfast. 
We made a stop in town at the Iron Horse Saloon and Museum...BIG MISTAKE! The guys went to the bar to order and us girls found a seat. While I was sitting there, I watched this large group come in. They weren't that busy and both bartenders totally ignored everyone else in the bar and went to them. One of them just stood there talking and not helping to serve. Rich had been standing there patiently for a good five minutes. Before they walked in. It was in the upper 90's...not good to make me wait unnecessarily. Don't get me wrong...if they were busy, if the group were celebrities, one of them were handicapped, etc...by all means, wait on them first...I'm the type of person that will tip the bartender a dollar for a glass of water. I just expect to be treated like everyone else. I went up there and with a loud...EXCUSE ME, he has been standing here 5 minutes while you both stand down there and socialize so how about some service. They looked at me like a child in trouble and about to be spanked...NO SHIT...and they kept doing what they were doing. So we left...never to return again. The last time we were in there the bartenders were unorganized and rude too...I blew it off to being the first part of the riding season and just not being prepared thinking, next time will be better.
We stayed at a motel in Clinton IA and had dinner at a new place on the river called The Candle light. The food was very good when we finally got it. We got there 6:45 and was finished at 10:15.
This is the view from the deck. It was their first Saturday and the kitchen was backed up. See...I do have patients when there is a reason for the slow service. They were all very friendly and explained that they just opened. I would bet that they will be up and running smoothly real soon.

Sunday morning we rode up the Great River Rd to Bellevue IA.
I got this shot of the town as I stood on this rock pictured to the right of it. I was the only one that went out to the ledge, everyone else stayed back at the overlook. They didn't want to go through the woods...Their loss!!! 

Then we rode up to Dubuque and crossed the river and rode through Galena, IL. We then rode the Great River Road down the IL side back to Savanna and rode through the State Park. It is beautiful there. Unfortunately, no one wanted to stop for pix.
We met some Friends in Mt. Carroll and rode back into IA. Then headed back through country rodes stopping at a place in Mt Carroll and this is what we found at the end of the alley...A haunted house! The front door opens like a draw bridge. From here, we headed home.
It was a good weekend...good friends...good riding...till Monday. We got rain on Monday so we stayed home and got a few things done around the house.
Now to hit the books. But first...what should I take out for dinner????

Wow! That's my kind of weekend. I perked up a bit when I read that you rode through Dubuque. That's my hometown. Galena is a beautiful area to ride too! I'm so jelly!
ReplyDeleteGreat pics... thanks for taking us along!
What takes you to AL?
ReplyDeleteI married a southern boy. We met while in the Navy, got married, and when we got out, we just settled near his home.
ReplyDeleteYou can take the girl out of the midwest... but you can't take the boy out of the south. LOL!