Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Maintenance

We have a truck (97 Dodge Ram with 54,000 miles), my car (An 02 Cavalier with 150,000 miles) and 3 Harley's. We have decided to take my car because it’s cheaper on gas than the truck and since we have to take formal wear, we can’t take the bikes. Good thing Rich is a mechanic. I bought plugs, wires, oil, two oil filters…one for when we get back…coolant, radiator flush, air filter, trans filter and fluid. The car runs great and it has been a very reliable car. I bought it new and have never had any trouble with it other than a front wheel bearing, fan relay, muffler clamp and the normal brake pads and rotors. Oh…and a battery.











Rich has been doing a little each day to get it maintained for the trip. As he was under it, greasing the rear, he noticed that one of my brake lines is almost rusted through and some rear brakes would be in order for crossing the mountains. He will be stopping today to pick up brake lines, pads, water pump, timing chain and gear. He has been researching when these things go out on the Cavaliers and according to the info he has gathered, I am over due for the pump and chain to go. He has heard that when the chain goes, it usually takes the engine with it. He checked the price of the chain and gear kit and it’s only $50...better than replacing the engine or getting a new car. When you have one this good, you don't mind putting money into it to keep it good.



I have a little over $100 in it from the items I just bought and I’m guessing the drums ~ $30, chain and gear kit ~ $50, the lines will be cheap enough, pump, ~ $40…maybe about $250 - $275 total in parts plus ~ $400 in tires next week. Having a mechanic in the house…PRICELESS!!!!


This blog wouldn't be complete without a pix of the mechanic!

2 comments:

  1. BB: It's great to have a built in mechanic, you'll have to share him with us . You must be getting excited . . .

    new dress: check, new shoes: check, new speech: check , car fixed: check.

    I think I would have taken the Harleys and ship your clothes there.

    bob
    Wet Coast Scootin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob:
    See how you are...you should have suggested that before.:) If it were up to me...we would.

    Rich is very paranoid about getting there on time. As it is, he wants to leave as soon as he can get home from work on Thursday...we don't have to be there till Tuesday. We do plan to stop and visit my two nephews in Omaha NE. and his Aunt and Uncle in Englewood, CO...just south of Denver.

    My oldest nephew...3 yrs older than me...said that I am more like the sister he never had because I spent so many summers with them. He is my late brother Joe's son.

    My car is still torn apart. He found a pipe that goes from the cooling system to the motor is rusted and ready to go plus, a pulley needs to be replaced...bearings are going bad.

    Being a mechanic, he knows that things can go at any given moment. He tells me about regular maint calls he has gone on and noticed nothing...two weeks later the customer calls with a problem and asks why he didn't see it when he was doing the maint. His answer to me, (not the customer) if I had a crystal ball or x-ray vision and could see through metal, I'd be rich. Wait a minute...he is "Rich"...hasn't done him any good thus far.

    This wedding is probably a blessing in discuses...I'd rather he find this stuff before it happens in the dead of winter or before it causes serious damage. I can't afford a new car while I'm unemployed. I figure I have about $800 into it by the time I put tires on it next week. That's cheaper than a new car. I keep telling myself to count my blessings...150,000 miles and it's just now starting to have issues.

    When I worked, I felt like I practically lived in that car...23 miles each way. Even in deep snow, it has handled well and got me through. It has served me well and with Rich keeping it up... it will continue to serve me well.

    I am just going on and on...probably because it's so humid and I need to do some house work and I can't muster the energy for it...I did do four school assignments, made potato salad, did dishes and walked down to the farm stand for fresh green beans to go with the pork chops for dinner. Yum!!! After my walk, I turned on the air. I can'st take no more!

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List