After my last post, I need to shake it free and count my blessings.
At Christmas my oldest son gave me two gift cards for $100. I added some to it and went yesterday to ordered new glasses. After struggling with my old glasses of three years, I have a stronger scrip, but the good news is, I will be able to see good again! This makes me very happy! THANK YOU MICHAEL!
I got my bike insurance bill for 2012 and I can actually pay it since I have been working for a few weeks now. I can now look forward to next riding season.
I will be eligible for the earned income credit this year. Yippee! I hope to add at least $500 of my income tax to my car fund. That will make $3,500 towards a car after I drive the wheels off this one. I now have 170,000 miles on it and I have to admit...that little Cavalier has been good to me.
I've been working for a company in A/P as a temp. I will be starting my sixth week of a six week assignment on Monday. The person I'm working for is lining up more projects so I think I'll be there at least seven and possibly eight weeks. I think she is starting to make up stuff to keep me there a little longer. It's going real good. The people are nice and the company is terrific. It's the kind of place I would love to work at. I asked about a permanent position and she said that unfortunately, the accounting department is an expense and they just don't hire for that department. They just use temps when they get behind. She said that once everything is caught up and if things start to get behind again she will be asking for more help. She said that is the only way she can show a need for an extra person for the accounting department. She wants to hire a floater to enter all the invoices, match stubs to invoices after they have been paid, manage all the filing, and help out where needed in A/R. I'm hoping they get behind real quick! I have all the 2012 files set-up, the 2010 files boxed and stored, and all the 2011 invoices entered, and filed. The aging will be done for the balance of the 2011 invoices, and we will have all the 1099's out by the end of this coming week. That was their goal for me. My supervisor has decided that I'm going to redo the payable filing system and pretty it up to make it more user friendly, then she wants me to design a new expense report in Excel.
The company has many pd holidays, a gym, vacation pay, personal days, medical, dental, vision, pd tuition for anyone who wants to go to school, and 401k. They took the whole department out for lunch to a very nice Italian place and they even took me...a mere temp! Apparently they do this about three to four times a year to get ideas about how the different departments are running and how the employees think it can do better. I love it! A place that cares what the employees think! They set up a charity where they use all the commisions from the web sales. When ever an employee makes a donation to any charity, they bring in the receipt to work and the company matchs the donation to the same charity from the web commisions.
After all the companies I've been working for, it's nice to be someplace like this. The people are always smiling and friendly because it's a good place to work. It's a big company that feels like family. The place is very modern and the plant area is very clean for a gear engineering and manufacturing company.
Last Thursday about 4:00, the fire alarm went off. One of the machines caught fire. They had five fire trucks from two cities there because of the oil involved. They did a great job of evacuating and doing head counts. They paid us for the rest of the day and got it cleaned up for everyone to work on Friday. They lost one machine, a ventilating system that was directly above the machine, and had some water damage and some damage from the foam extinguishers. I hope it all works out for them and they recover from the loss real soon.
School starts on Tuesday and I have 6.5 credit hours this semester. I will be very busy. I hope that after this assignment ends they get behind real quick so they can justify hiring a new employee. That would make a great start for 2012. In the mean time, I will be taking a week to go on the road with my son. I have all independent and Internet classes so it will work out good. While he is sleeping, I'll go into the truckers lounge and do school work. When I don't have someplace to study while he is sleeping, I will sit in the front and use earphones. He took out one of the bunks to make more room in the sleeper so we will be sleeping in shifts. He lives in that rig now, he is staying out two weeks at a time since he is now solo. He doesn't make enough money as a solo driver to cover all their bills since Amanda lost her job. She can't get unemployment because she was considered part time, they only gave her 10-20 hours a week. Hopefully she can find work and he can get back to coming home every weekend. When I go out with him, I will just hop a bus or rent a car back home after a week
I plan to use the rest of the day to do some thourogh cleaning and catch up on laundry since I won't have much time for it once school starts.
Can't wait till summer and riding.
Have a good Sunday!
This sounds so good for you. It's great to feel good it is. I have not been able to post here for some time. I finally figured it out. Hope all continues well. Glad you can see I know all about that. I went 50yrs before I needed them and in a year I had tri's.
ReplyDeleteI've been having trouble posting on some blogs too. What's the secret?
ReplyDeleteOn the right where the photo's are it says sign in....sign in. Thats it.
ReplyDeleteBB:
ReplyDeleteI'm glad things are better. Hopefully things will continue like this for 2012, and that this Company gets behind "really" fast. It's good that you will be able to ride this season
bob
Riding the Wet Coast
Webster, it worked, you’re a genius!
ReplyDeletebobscoot; I can always count on you for something positive, thanks!