Saturday, December 3, 2011

Job update!

Thursday was my last day at the Fencing Co. The girl I was replacing was leaving to go back home to IN. The VP of the company talked her into staying with them. They told her that she could take the winter layoff, effective Friday, and come back in the spring. I wonder if she just agreed to it so she could get the unemployment. I doubt she will be coming back. She acted like she couldn't get out of there fast enough. Either way it doesn't matter; it's just one more disappointment. The controller has only been there one month and she told me she is looking for something else already.


When I called the temp agency to let them know I found a job, the staffing agent told me that she had sent a few people there a couple years ago and no one she sent could tolerate the place. She warned me that the owner was a real…Bugger. I only saw him in the office once and could tell he was a tyrant. He didn’t even introduce himself, just looked past me like I wasn’t there. He walked around barking orders and reprimanding people. The front desk girl wasn’t answering the phones quick enough, someone didn’t copy him on an email, bla bla bla.


The next day he was pissed off at the girl training me because he was trying to send videos from his personal laptop at home, but the videos were too large to send in an email. The computer kept trying to send and his Outlook was tied up so he couldn’t use it. He called her from his house and wanted her to fix it over the phone. She tried to explain that she could not access his personal laptop because it was not connected to the company server. He has PC anywhere on his work laptop and she can access that one from the office. Somehow, he thought she could access his personal laptop too. She tried to walk him through right clicking the email and deleting, rebooting Outlook, and rebooting the computer, but none of that worked. Then he wanted her to call tech support and get answers from them. She told him that she would need the computer in front of her for them to walk her through it. He insisted that she call and get advice. She tried and they told her exactly what she had already told him. When she called him back and told him what they said, I could hear him yelling at her from where I was.


The girl at the front desk told me that they had a huge employee turnover. I believe it. It’s probably a blessing that I’m out of there. It seems like the economy has got people going crazy. The printing company I worked at for so long was very good to us, and it was a really good place to work till the economy went bad. Then it got depressing, and when the owners son took over it just became unbearable. He was a real ass to work for so I got used to dealing with it; although, I did fantasize about dragging him into a cornfield with a bag over his head and beat the crap out of him, then leave him to stumble around till he finally walked into the street and met whatever fate awaited him. The thing that kept me sane there was…I had a good boss and I didn’t have to deal with him directly on a day to day basis plus; the people I worked with had become my friends and we were all in it together.


I do have an interview on Monday with another company. Maybe that will turn into something. In the meantime, I called the temp service and asked them to put me back on the list. Sooner or later I'll find something. I guess you just have to kiss a few frogs before you can get the perfect job!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Raftnn,
    Funny how one word can make you smile. I needed that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BB:

    I am at a loss for words, and here I thought you were all set . . . It's amazing how people like this can remain in business and have a loyal staff. Keeping fingers & Toes crossed for you

    bob
    Riding the Wet Coast

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List